7 Things Do If Company is Not giving Experience & Relieving Letters

If you didn’t abscond from your job (or) if you weren’t terminated due to any illegal or fraudulent activities then you can complain at your nearest labour department or you can also send a lawyer notice to the employer for not giving your experience and relieving letters.

But if you absconded from your job or didn’t serve the notice period then it is difficult to get the experience & relieving letters. 

7 Things to do If Company is Not Giving Experience & Relieving Letter

  1. Try to scare your employer that you are going to contact a lawyer or labour department office. (If the problem is not from your side)
  2. Send a lawyer notice (or) complain to the labour department about the issue.
  3. Use your payslips to prove your previous job experience in your new job.
  4. Try to get a job in a company where the experience certificate is not mandatory.
  5. Meet the head of the company and request him/her to issue your experience & relieving letters. 
  6. If you have very short experience then you can start your career as a fresher.
  7. Finally tell the truth to your new employer that why you left your previous job.

How to Get Experience or Relieving Letter without Serving the Notice Period

Instead of absconding, talk with your employer and request them to relieve without serving the notice period.  Don’t talk with the HR department, try to talk directly with the management, If they agree then everything will become easy.

Sometimes you have to pay the compensation for not serving the notice period, it is up to you to accept it or not.

If your company doesn’t need your services then they will relieve you without any notice period, so analyze your situation and discuss with your employer.


Can companies deny experience certificates?

Yes, companies can deny giving it, if the employee absconds or commits any illegal or fraudulent activities.  

Is a work experience letter mandatory?

For some jobs it is mandatory and for others is not mandatory, It depends on where you are going to join. 

Why should I need an experience certificate?

It is required to get a better position and a better salary in your new job.

Can I join an MNC without relieving and experience letters?

For MNCs, it is difficult to join without relieving & experience letters, but you can join as a fresher. 

How does HR verify experience letters?

They will do a background check by calling your previous employer to verify your experience.

You may also like

7 thoughts on “7 Things Do If Company is Not giving Experience & Relieving Letters”

  1. I was terminated from my last job due to a misconduct under zero tolerance policy from my last job. My employer has denied for experience or relieving letter on email. Is there any clause or process to get this documents?

  2. I have resigned from my company without serving notice period but in resignation mail I have mentioned that I will buy out the notice period .After 1 month company ask me to pay the notice short fall amount which I have paid .Now company is not responding my mails and not providing the reliving letter and experience letter however they have mentioned that they will provide the same.

    What to do please help.

  3. Hi,i joined tcs and worked from 2019 to dec 2020. Then in dec amid COVID met with severe accident was hospitalized lost all contacts from company and was no t able to inform them so after few days they terminated me saying I was not able to be contacted. After getting discharge i went to company returned everything and tried to contact hr they were not ready to listen anything and for the relieving letter and experience letter demanded 3months salary. I was financially exhausted so was not able to pay.
    Now today got few interview offers from startups and some mnc so have doubt how to counter this problem of experience letter and relieving letter should I tell in interview about my previous employer and all this problem and tell to either wait for couple of month so as i could earn money and buyback my relieving letter or ask them to accept without that or simply hide my prev. Experience. Can you please guide me.

    • Either you have to pay the notice pay amount,
      (or) you have to be genuine with your new employer about the exit from your previous job.
      (You can explain your situation by showing your medical reports).

  4. I have a total of 3.5 years of experience that started from June 2018 to current date.
    Recently changed a job in month of Sep 2021, but I left the job due to some reasons. I worked in 2nd organisation almost 2 months and received the salary as well and my PF has also deducted from there as well. I put the proper resignation but it was not accepted and company declared me abscond. Now for the Relieving and experience letter company is asking 3 months un served notice days salary.
    If I join any new organisation without showing them my 2nd organisation details anything, will this make any impact in my career for future prospects?

    • Having a few months gap in between jobs is common nowadays, instead of mentioning it in the resume you can keep it as a gap.
      Very few companies consider it seriously but it is better to be prepared with a proper answer to describe the gap (or) reason for leaving the job so early.


Leave a Comment