List of Labour Law Amendments Made in 2018 (Year End Review)
Keeping in a view of job security, social security, and transparent implementation of labour laws the ministry of labour and employment has taken several initiatives and made some changes to the existing labour laws in the year 2018, here is the year-end review of labour laws in 2018
Achievements Made in Labour Welfare in 2018
Labour Codes Proposal was Made
Based on the recommendation of the second national labour commission the ministry of labour and employment has taken steps to form 4 labour codes by simplifying existing labour laws, here are the codes 1. Wages 2. Industrial relations 3. Social security and welfare and 4. Occupational safety, health and working conditions.
|Labour Code||Labour Laws Going to be Combined|
|1. Code on Wages(This bill is under examination under the parliamentary standing committee of labour)||
|2. Code on Industrial relations(This bill is under consideration of cabinet secretariat)||
|3. Code on Social Security and Welfare(Recently this bill is circulated to inter-ministerial consultation)||
|4. Code on occupational safety, health and working conditions(Recently this bill is also circulated to inter-ministerial consultation)||
Shram Suvidha Portal Became Effective
A unified web portal Shram Suvidha Portal became effective to bring transparency in labour laws. Features of Shram Suvidha portal
- Labour inspection reports are uploaded into the portal within 48 hrs of inspection so that employers can verify those records.
- Common registration and ECR for ESIC and EPFO
Maternity Leaves Increased to 26 Weeks
The paid maternity leaves for women employees were increased to 26 weeks from 12 weeks and recently the government has made a proposal to pay 7 weeks maternity leave wages to employers, the aim is to motivate the employers to employ more women employees. Once the budget is allocated then employers will get 7 weeks maternity wages.
The Tax-Free Gratuity Limit was Increased to 20 Lakhs
The payment of gratuity amendment bill 2018 was passed in Loksabha on 15th March 2018 and in Rajyasabha on 22nd March 2018. As per this amendment the upper ceiling limit of gratuity is increased to 20 Lakhs from 10 lakhs.
Major Achievements in EPFO & ESIC
- EPFO pensioner’s portal was launched on March 2018 through which pensioners can check their pension payment order number, PPO details, pensioner’s passbook information, pension credit date and details of pensioner’s life certificate and Jeevan Praman digital life certification information.
- An online system has been introduced to verify the PAN details of employer directly from income tax department during registration of establishment. So now there is no need to upload scanned copy of signed PAN card during establishment registration in EPFO scheme 1952.
- From April 2018 PMRPY scheme is paying full employer PF contribution, which includes both 3.67% of PF and 8.33% of pension contribution of the employer.
- EPF administration charges were reduced from 0.65% to 0.50%.
- Now EPF members can withdraw 75% of their PF claim amount after 1 month from the date of leaving the job. Remaining 25% they will get it after 2 months from the date of leaving the job.
- Atal Bimit Vyakti Kalyan Yojana scheme was introduced by ESIC, by this scheme when an employee loses job then ESIC will pay 25% of average earnings for the last 90 days.
- ESIC Chinta Se Mukti mobile application was launched by ESIC, by using this app insured persons can check their IP details, dispensary details, family members details and contribution details.